Friday, July 22, 2011

All Hail Stacy London!

Anyone who knows me knows that What Not to Wear is amongst my favorite shows. Ever. I'm fairly certain I've seen almost every episode. There is a part of me (a large part) that would like to stop people on the street and drag them to the nearest retail location and force them to buy tasteful clothing. Not saying I'm anywhere near the guru level Stacy has achieved, but I am perfectly capable of stating the obvious.


Anyway, Stacy was on the Today Show and offered some fantastic (obviously) tips for keeping cool and looking good in this unbelievable heat wave.

Stacy London: Keep it cool but classy when dressing for summer heat

Other great suggestions:
  • Keep the makeup to a minimum. The more crap you pile on your skin, the more makeup can melt down. Waterproof mascara and eyeliner is more likely to hold on, and tinted moisturizer (with SPF!) with a light dusting of bronzer will feel lighter and less greasy than foundation with powder and blush. A fresh-faced, natural look will hold up longer than dramatic makeup.
  • Blotting paper is your friend. Layering powder will just make you greasier later. Rice paper will absorb excess oil and keep you looking dewy, not greasy.
  • I can't believe I'm saying this, but avoid black. Nails and accessories are fine, but a black dress will attract and absorb heat way faster than a light gray or bright pink one. Lightweight fabric helps, too.
  • Embrace the updo. I once had a couple of girls stop me at an airport and ask me how I did my hair. I had literally twisted it into a messy, messy half-bun, half-french twist and secured it with an awesome plastic clip. There isn't really a specific tip I can give, because face shapes and hair types are so different. My go-to styles are a sleek, simple ponytail; the aforementioned messy twist thing; and a slightly dressier updo similar to the messy twist secured with bobby pins and the occasional awesome headband or flower pin.
  • Lay off the perfume. Seems counterintuitive, but heat causes sweat, which an cause odor. Even if you don't smell like a gym locker, the reaction between your natural scent and the scent of your lovely perfume can be a gag-inducing combination. If you must, opt for a scented antiperspirant or a light body mist with a clean, crisp scent.
  • Above all, HYDRATE! Iced coffee and soda taste great, but water will be your best friend. Not only does it cool you down, water actually helps to regulate your body temperature.
If you can't stay inside in the AC all day, hopefully this will help you survive the next couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment